International Students PRINT  

All communication must be in English. This includes translated transcripts with the appropriate number/letter grades. Applicants must meet the requirements of Immigration Canada and obtain a student visa.

English Language Proficiency

Applicants whose first language is not English must supply proof of English language proficiency at a satisfactory level. We will accept English Proficiency Scores from the following tests:

  • TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language
  • IELTS - International English Language Testing Service
  • MELAB - Michigan English Language Assessment Battery
  • CAEL - Canadian Academic English Language Assessment

Applicants are exempt from providing us with proof of English language proficiency if any of the following applies:

  • The applicant has completed four (4) years of full-time education in English at an accredited school or institution where English is the primary language of instruction, OR
  • The applicant has spent more than four (4) years in an English-speaking country.

Please submit test scores OR documentation supporting your exemption along with your application.

Academic Credentials

Harris Institute accepts the following international credentials as equivalent to the Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD):

Albania - Deftese Pjekurie
Bangladesh - Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC)
Bosnia-Herzegovina - Svjedocanstvo svjedodzba o zavrsenom obrazovanju (Certificate of Completed Examinations)
Brazil - Certificado de Conclusâo de 2º Grau (Certificate of Conclusion of 2nd Level)
China - Graduation Certificate
Colombia - Certificate of "Bachiller" (Grade 11)
Croatia - Svjedocanstvo o polozenom zavrsenom ispitu or Matura (Certificate of Completed Examinations)
France - diplôme du baccalauréat
Hong Kong - Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination (HKCEE)
India - Higher Secondary Certificate (HSC), or the India Senior School Certificate or the Pre-University Examination Certificated or the Intermediate Examination Certificate
Iran - Diplom-Metevaseth (Secondary School Leaving Certificate)
Iraq - Baccalaureate Examination for Preparatory Schools or Baccalaureate Examination for Vocational Schools
Jamaica - Caribbean Examinations Council Secondary Education Certificate
Republic of Korea - Graduation Certification in the Republic of Korea
Kosovo - Svjedocanstvo o polozenom zavrsenom ispitu (Certificate of Completed Examinations)
Mexico - Certificate of "Bachiller" (Grade 11)
Pakistan - Higher Secondary School Certificate or the Intermediate School Certificate
Romania - Diploma˘ de Baccalaureat
Russia - attestat o (polnom) srednem obrazovanii (Certificate of Completed Secondary Education)
Saudi Arabia - General Secondary Education Certificate
Serbia-Montenegro - Svjedocanstvo o polozenom zavrsenom ispitu (Certificate of Completed Examinations)
Sri Lanka - Sri Lankan GCE Ordinary Levels
Somalia - Shahaadada Dugsiga Sare (Secondary School Leaving Certificate)
Ukraine - Attestat pro povnu seredniu zagal'nu osvitu
United States - High School Diploma OR General Education Development (GED) certificate
Vietnam - Bàng T?t Nghi?p Ph? Thông Trung H?c (Upper Secondary School Diploma)

International applicants whose academic credentials are NOT listed above must provide us with comparative education documentation from a recognized assessment service. There are several different recognized assessment services that can provide comparative education documentation — here are some options:

World Education Services-Canada (WES Canada)
45 Charles Street East, Suite 700
Toronto, Ontario M4Y 1S2 Canada
Tel.: +1 416 972-0070
Fax: +1 416 972-9004
Toll-free: +1 866 343-0070 (from outside the 416 area code)
Web site:

Comparative Education Service (CES)
University of Toronto
315 Bloor Street West
Toronto, Ontario M5S 1A3 Canada
Tel.: +1 416 978-2190
Fax: +1 416 978-7022
Web site:

International Credential Assessment Service of Canada (ICAS)
Ontario AgriCentre
100 Stone Road West, Suite 303
Guelph, Ontario N1G 5L3 Canada
Tel.: +1 519 763-7282
Toll-free: +1 800 321-6021
Fax: +1 519 763-6964
Web site:

The following website contains a comprehensive list of Foreign Qualifications and Credential Assessment Services:

Study Permits

Once a complete application is received, an invitation to interview will follow. (Upon request, we can accommodate applicants who are out of the country with a telephone interview.) Once we have established that you are eligible for acceptance, a letter will be issued with a schedule of tuition fees, start date and program duration; this letter of acceptance conforms to the requirements of Citizenship and Immigration Canada and serves as your proof of acceptance, which will be required for your application for your study permit. Depending on your citizenship or where you live, you may need a temporary resident visa as well as a study permit.

For more information about how to obtain a study permit, please consult the Citizen and Immigration Canada website at:

Harris Institute is registered with Ministry of Training, Colleges & Universities in the Province of Ontario. Refund Policy adheres to s. 25 to 33 of O.Reg. 415/06 – Private Career Colleges Act, 2005.

Cost of Living

Students attending Harris Institute from outside of Toronto will need to budget living expenses for the year. This is a guide to help determine some of the costs you may encounter.

Shared Accommodation: $350 - $450/mo
Single Accommodation: $650 - $850/mo
Transit: TTC Metropass $93 +/mo
Parking: $50/mo (residence only)
Food & Staples: $200 -$250/mo
Entertainment: $100 - $125/mo

Harris Institute does not offer housing. We recommend:

Neil-Wycik Cooperative
Toll Free: 1-800-268-4358
(Long term rental options)

The Residence College Hotel
(Short term rental options)

Any Community College or University will have student housing boards with other students looking to share. We get some postings for housing, which are posted on our student boards.

If you have other questions regarding cost of living or housing, please contact our Registrar Office at 416.367.0178 or .

    << Back to "Registration"