The Arts Management Program (AMP) is an accelerated twelve month Diploma program featuring 62 courses that focus on the new music industry, from evolving technologies and business models to entrepreneurial opportunities. The 62 member Award Winning Faculty are all active industry leaders. The program is offered in 3 four month semesters starting in March, July and November and features experiential learning, including the following team projects:
- Confidential Records - administration and operation of an independent record label over an 8 month period.
- Artist Management Companies - set up and operation of artist management companies over an 8 month period.
- Interdisciplinary Company Projects (ICP) - proposals for music related companies presented to industry leaders.
- Marketing Presentation - Class writes and presents a marketing plan to an established music industry company.
- Music Video Production - Class selects artist, story- boards, shoots and edits a music video.
The 3:50 minute student film created in 60 min. using only the equipment students brought to class (cellphones, etc.) has surpassed 80K views on YouTube! To view video click here
Jim Lamarche updated his Report Card on Media Arts Education in Canada with the following:
"I’m thinking that Harris Institute’s Arts Management Program is probably the best of it’s kind in Canada for 2 reasons – John Harris (founder / director) has many years of experience in artist management and knows the business inside out, upside down and backwards. Also Bob Roper who heads the AMP, is an industry veteran who has worked in A & R, publicity/promotion and has been a tour manager for major recording artists signed to major labels – these guys KNOW what they’re talking about. They are both extremely passionate/committed about what they do as well. Harris get’s top marks for their AMP program and I would recommend it hands down over any other school..."
Courses / Faculty
Level 1 (4 months)
- Art of Leadership / John Harris
- Artist Management I / Bob Roper
- Artist Series / Bill King
- Audio Post Theory I / Yuri Gorbachow
- Business of Writing / Zack Leighton
- Computer Science / Martin Pilchner
- Digital Culture / Kathleen Farley
- Final Cut Pro / Christian McKibbin
- Live Sound I / Bo Cairo
- Music Industry Math / Clinton Somerton
- Music Marketing I / Dan Broome
- Music Publishing & Copyright / Dave Betts
- Music Theory I / Dr. Mike Daley, Ph. D
- Music Video Production / Scott Eldridge & Joe Fried
- The NEW Music Industry / Bob Roper
- Oh Canada! / Bob Roper
- Popular Culture / Dr. Mike Daley, Ph. D
- Producing/Engineering Now / Doug McClement
- Sound Synthesis / Don Garbutt
- U.N.I.T. Why? / Will Strickland
- Math Tutorials (optional) / Clinton Somerton
Level 2 (4 months)
- Applied Marketing / Dan Broome
- Artist Management II / Bob Roper
- Artist & Repertoire / David Quilico
- Booking Agency / Nicole Rochefort
- Broadcasting Arts / Liz Janik
- Computer Graphics I / Patrick Duffy
- Confidential Records / Anne-Marie Smith
- Contemporary Issues / Bob Roper
- Contracts & Negotiations / Anne-Marie Smith
- Digital Marketing / Lindsay Hyslop
- Graphic Design / Patrick Duffy
- Guest Lecture Series / Bob Roper
- Music & Media / Jane Harbury
- Music Marketing II / Dan Broome
- Music Merchandising / Mike Balogh
- Tour Management / Bob Roper
- Venue Management / Victoria Pfeifer
- Web Development I / Kathleen Farley
Level 3 (4 months)
- Applied Marketing II / Dan Broome
- Art of Leadership II / John Harris
- Artist Management III / Bob Roper
- Computer Graphics II / Patrick Duffy
- Concert Promotions / Stephane Lecuyer
- Creative Entrepreneur / David Quilico
- Data Management / Kathleen Farley
- Guest Lecture Series / Bob Roper
- FUNds & Grants / Zack Leighton
- Business Management / Anne-Marie Smith
- Indie at Retail / Jay Devonish
- International Marketing / Graham Stairs
- Leader Lab / Kathleen Farley & Anne-Marie Smith
- Music Supervision / Yuri Gorbachow
- Music Marketing III / Dan Broome
- Radio & Video Promotions / Demetrius Nath
- Recording 101 / Sam Weller & Fergus Hambleton
- This Business of Image / Zayna Mosam
- Web Development II / Kathleen Farley
- Internship Placement / Bob Roper
Courses change as the industry evolves. Internships at music related companies are an option for all those successfully completing the program. Some of the companies that have previously participated are at Internship Program.
Prerequisites / Tuition / Terms of Payment
AMP Level 1
- Prerequisites: Ontario Secondary School Diploma or its equivalent. Preference is given to those with previous post secondary education and a demonstrated longstanding interest in the area of study.
- Tuition: Level 1: $5,886.00
- Terms of Payment: Payment is due thirty (30) days after receiving written acceptance. Applicants accessing OSAP/Canada Student Loans are required to post a $500.00 tuition deposit twenty-one (21) days after acceptance with documentation of the loan applied for.
AMP Level 2 & 3
- Prerequisites: The successful completion of AMP Level 1
- Tuition: Level 2: $5,886.00 Level 3: $5,886.00
- Terms of Payment: Payment is due thirty (30) days prior to Levels 2 and 3 or as determined by Registrar.
$17, 658.00 (CAD)
Note: There is no additional fee for international students
$13,741.92 (USD) On December 9, 2017
€11,681.81 (EUR) On December 9, 2017
£ 11,608.51 (GBP) On December 9, 2017
The Arts Management Program is the only college program in North America to have achieved an unprecedented eight 0% Student Loan Default Rates
Priority consideration is given to applications received 60 days or more before a term start. Applications received after the deadline are considered as space permits.
Graduates completing both APP and AMP are awarded Music Business Professional Certification and the $2,500 MBP Bursary. (Total: 20 months) Students who complete both programs are being accepted directly into the Masters Degree Programs in Sound Production, Music Industries and Songwriting. at the University of the West of Scotland (UWS). MBP tuition: AMP 1, 2, 3 = $17,658 + APP 2, 3 ($14,098) = $31,756 - $2,500 (Bursary) = $29,256.
3 Credentials in 20 Months, or 4 in 32!
- Honours Diploma, Arts Management Program (AMP) 12 months
- Honours Diploma, Audio Production Program (APP) 8 months
- Certificate, Music Business Professional (MBP) for APP + AMP
- Master's Degree from UWS 12 months
Total: 32 months
See Harris International Program (HIP) for information on programs at the University of the West of Scotland.