The Audio Production Program (APP) is an accelerated twelve month Diploma program featuring 63 courses in the art, technology and business of audio production. The 62 member Award Winning Faculty are all active industry leaders. The program is offered in 3 four month semesters starting in March, July and November and features experiential learning, including the following team projects:
- Production Company Projects - students select, record, mix and master a commercially viable artist and present to 3 record company A&R Directors.
- Interdisciplinary Systems Projects (ISP) - proposals for new audio related facilities presented to audio industry leaders. ISP Adjudication Panel Members
- Integrated Productions - MIDI / Logic / Sampling based electronic production company projects.
- Electronics Project - Each student builds an electronic circuit from parts supplied.
- Music Video Production - Class selects artist, story- boards, shoots and edits a music video.
- Confidential Records - APP students produce recordings by artists managed by AMP students.
To view Zachary Spence's compilation video of projects he completed in the Audio Proudction Program (APP) click here
Courses / Faculty
Level 1 (4 months)
- Art of Leadership / John Harris
- Artist Management I / Bob Roper
- Artist Series / Bill King
- Audio Post Theory I / Yuri Gorbachow
- Business of Writing / Zack Leighton
- Computer Science / Martin Pilchner
- Digital Culture / Kathleen Farley
- Final Cut Pro / Christian McKibbin
- Live Sound I / Bo Cairo
- Music Industry Math / Clinton Somerton
- Music Marketing I / Dan Broome
- Music Publishing & Copyright / Dave Betts
- Music Theory I / Dr. Mike Daley, Ph. D
- Music Video Production / Scott Eldridge & Joe Fried
- The NEW Music Industry / Bob Roper
- Oh Canada! / Bob Roper
- Popular Culture / Dr. Mike Daley, Ph. D
- Producing/Engineering I / Doug McClement
- Sound Synthesis / Don Garbutt
- U.N.I.T. Why? / Will Strickland
- Math Tutorials (optional) / Clinton Somerton
Level 2 (4 months)
- Acoustics / Martin Pilchner
- Artist & Repertoire / David Quilico
- Audio Post Theory II / Yuri Gorbachow
- Composition & Arranging I / Todd Booth
- Contemporary Issues / Bob Roper
- Contemporary Audio Production / Deryck Roche
- Contracts & Negotiations / Anne-Marie Smith
- Digital Synthesis/MIDI / Don Garbutt
- Electronic Principles / Don Hart
- Game Audio I / Cameron Britton
- Guest Lecture Series / Bob Roper
- Live Sound II / Bo Cairo
- Music Theory II / George Botly
- Producing/Engineering II / Andrew Hermant
- Pro Tools I / Dajaun Martineau
- Signal Processing / Willard Bond
- Studio Orientation Class / Tom Heron
- Studio Orientation Lab / Tom Heron/Doug McClement/Mark McLay
- Tour Management / Bob Roper
Level 3 (4 months)
- The Art of Leadership / John Harris
- Audio Post Production / Yuri Gorbachow
- Broadcast Audio / Eric Abrahams
- Career/Internship Planning / Fergus Hambleton
- Composition/Arranging II / Todd Booth
- Creative Entrepreneur / David Quilico
- Ear Training / Don Garbutt
- Electronic Applications / Tom Heron
- Game Audio II / Cameron Britton
- Guest Lecture Series / Bob Roper
- Integrated Productions / Don Garbutt
- Live Sound III / Bo Cairo
- Mastering Music / James Paul
- Music Supervision / Yuri Gorbachow
- Post Audio Workshop / Mark McLay
- Producing/Engineering III / Tom Heron
- Production Applications / Terry Brown
- Production Planning / Fergus Hambleton
- Pro Tools II / Dajaun Martineau
- Studio Design / Martin Pilchner
- Studio Management / Doug McClement
- Web Development / Kathleen Farley
Courses change as the industry evolves. Internships at recording studios and music related companies are an option for all those successfully completing the program. Some of the companies that have previously participated are at Internship Program.
Prerequisites / Tuition / Terms of Payment
APP Level 1
- Prerequisites: Ontario Secondary School Diploma or its equivalent. Preference is given to those with previous post secondary education and a demonstrated longstanding interest in the area of study.
- Tuition: Level 1: $5,886.00
- Terms of Payment: Payment is due thirty (30) days after receiving written acceptance. Applicants accessing OSAP/Canada Student Loans are required to post a $500.00 tuition deposit twenty-one (21) days after acceptance with documentation of the loan applied for.
APP Level 2 & 3
- Prerequisites: The successful completion of APP Level 1
- Tuition: Level 2: $7,049.00 Level 3: $7,049.00
- Terms of Payment: Payment is due thirty (30) days prior to Levels 2 and 3 or as determined by Registrar.
$15,210.26 (USD) On January 12, 2017
€14,329.18 (EUR) On January 12, 2017
£ 12,499.99 (GBP) On January 12, 2017
Priority consideration is given to applications received 60 days or more before a term start. Applications received after the deadline are considered as space permits.
Graduates completing both APP and AMP are awarded Music Business Professional Certification and the $2,500 MBP Bursary. (Total: 20 months) Students who complete both programs are being accepted directly into the MA's in 'Songwriting & Performance' and 'Music: Innovation and Entrepreneurship' at the University of the West of Scotland (UWS). MBP tuition: AMP 1, 2, 3 = $17,658 + APP 2, 3 ($14,098) = $31,756 - $2,500 (Bursary) = $29,256.
3 Credentials in 20 Months, or 4 in 32!
- Honours Diploma, Arts Management Program (AMP) 12 months
- Honours Diploma, Audio Production Program (APP) 8 months
- Certificate, Music Business Professional (MBP) for APP + AMP
- Master's Degree from UWS 12 months
Total: 32 months
See Harris International Program (HIP) for information on programs at the University of the West of Scotland.